First, read through your assigned selection. Then, transcribe the selection word-for-word in a Google Doc. In order to demonstrate comprehension of the text, rewrite your selection in vernacular English, or as you might speak to a friend.
This text may be confusing. It is more than 250 years old, so the language may seem unfamiliar. Take it one clause at a time, and think carefully as you a read.
- Read your assigned portion of the broadside.
- Rewrite your assigned portion word-for-word in a Google Doc.
- Rewrite your assigned portion thought-for-thought, as you might talk to a friend.
- Label and submit your two transcriptions using Google Drive.
- Transcription Best Practices, which discusses handwriting transcription in particular.
- The Black Boys of 1765, for those interested in the events leading to this publication.
Write and submit a one-paragraph response (3-5 sentences) to the question below. Consult your classmates transcriptions on Google Drive in order to write your response. You are welcome though not required to share your thoughts on the assignment.
Question: What bias do you detect in this source? How can you tell that the source is biased? Cite specific evidence.