Background Readings for Teachers
- Christine Leigh Heyrman. "Native American Religion in Early America." TeacherServe, National Humanities Center.
- Jane T. Merritt, "Quakers and the Language of Indian Diplomacy," in At the Crossroads: Indians and Empires on a Mid-Atlantic Frontier, 1700-1763. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 2003: 210-218. Used with permission of the publisher.
- Lois Scozzari. "The significance of wampum to seventeenth century Indians in New England." Originally published in The Connecticut Review.
- Karim M. Tiro, "Introduction to Words and Deeds: Native, Europeans, and Writing in Eastern North America, 1500-1850." Rosenbach Museum & Library Exhibition, November 25, 1997 - March 8, 1998.
- Barre Toelken, "Cultural Worldview." Dynamics of Folklore (revised and expanded edition), Logan: Utah State University Press, 1996.
Grade LevelHigh School
PA Core Standards
About the AuthorThis unit was created by Kathryn Wilson and updated by Elizabeth Fox and Kendl Hommel, Education interns at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
FunderThis unit plan was created with funding from the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the Lindback Foundation, the Dolfinger-McMahon Foundation, William Penn Foundation, the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom, and the Pennsylvania Abolition Society.
Download a printable version of this page.
© Historical Society of Pennsylvania