- Read and the assigned secondary and primary sources.
- Answer the following reflection questions.
- Submit your responses via Google Drive.
- What does the painting suggest about life in eighteenth-century Pennsylvania? Who do you see represented? What is happening?
- What does Benjamin Franklin's narrative suggest about life in eighteenth century Pennsylvania? What happens in his narrative? Who appears in his narrative? Does this square with the article?
- How do these two sources differ in terms of content and tone? How did you feel about the experience of “reading” both the painting and the narrative?
- Which of these stories were you more familiar with before class today? Why do you think that is? Reflect on the Do-Now.
- Why do you think the painting was commissioned? What story does it tell about the history of Pennsylvania? Feel free to speculate.
- Try to answer the prior question by doing some light research. Start by finding out more about Benjamin West & Benjamin Franklin. Feel free to use Google. (Library, museum, and university websites tend to contain the most trusted information.)